Ainsley’s Anthropologie Inspired Bedroom

I can’t wait to show you Ainsley’s new bedroom.  She is a very lucky and happy 4 year old.

Now, as you may recall, we redid Ainsley’s room about 1.5 years ago, so you might be wondering why on earth we would change such a pretty room, right?
(old room on left, new room on right)
click HERE for the full tour

She had a gorgeous bedroom before with beautiful furniture, bedding, colors, everything.  However, after we had recently redone Ethan’s bedroom with colors that he loves, we realized that Ainsley’s room needed a change, as well.  For starters, her old furniture was way way too big for the room, and nothing was functioning properly.  As much as I loved it, it had to go, so we sold it all.  Most importantly, Ainsley had been begging for a pink room, so hey, why not?
Her wish for pink certainly came true!
My inspiration starting point for her bedroom was the amazing Anthroplogie Watercolor Peony wallpaper.  At $158 a roll, though, it was way out of my budget to purchase more than one, so I had to get creative.  I wallpapered two of her walls, and trimmed them out with picture frame moldings to create features.  I absolutely love it and actually prefer it over the full wallpapered walls.

Because I splurged on the wallpaper, the rest of the room had to be on a strict budget.  For instance, I found this adorable canvas on the  Target clearance rack for $8.

Because her room isn’t all that large, we needed to figure out a good storage system for all of her dolls and toys.  Just like in the family room, we purchased the Besta line from IKEA and created our own “built-in bookcases, complete with a window seat!!

I mean, seriously, what little girl doesn’t want a window seat??
This was pretty tricky to make, but I adore the outcome.  We put two Besta bookcases on either side of the window and then 3 smaller cases under the window.  However, they weren’t quite long enough, so the handy dandy Garrett built some faux panels on either side to create a seamless look.  Smart, huh?

I sewed up a simple bench cushion with fun colors.

Another time consuming project were the curtains….
I searched high and low, but I had no luck finding pink and white large striped fabric, SO I had to piece pink and white together to make my own stripes… it took FOREVER but I think it was SO worth it!  They are fully lined with grommets and hang really well.
So, now Ainsley has a full storage system for all of her toys!
One of my favorite elements in the room is the bed.  It is a vintage iron bed from the 50’s and it just so happened to be mine when I was little.  Cool, right?

We gave it a few coats of raspberry pink spray paint and it was perfect for the space.  I purchased simple white bedding and added a few clearance pillows for color.  The blue side table was originally in our family room, but fit much better in her room.
Moving to the other side of her bed is her dresser.  I found a dark brown vintage dresser in a thrift shop for $30 and I knew it would be perfect.  We gave it several coats of a creamy white, added new hardware from Target and it was a whole new piece.

She comes home from school in a few hours and I can’t wait to show her the finished product.  She is going to shriek!
 The best part is that this is what I see when I come up the stairs…

Hayley

Hayley Crouse is a wife, mother and multifaceted designer. Her love of sewing, crafting, cooking and interior design infuses her daily life and naturally spills over into her online presence. She pushes the envelope of her creativity and hopes that others will be inspired to do the same. She currently authors the Welcome to the Mouse House Blog, is the pattern designer behind Mouse House Creations and is a collaborative designer with Willow & Co. Patterns.

Latest posts by Hayley (see all)

47 Responses to Ainsley’s Anthropologie Inspired Bedroom

1. Jess @ Spool and Spoon January 10, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

Oh my, Ainsley is one lucky little girl. I’d move in there in a heartbeat ;) We’re trying for a baby right now and I’ve been pinning the faux built-in window seats like crazy for the future nursery. Yours turned out beautifully in the space. I love every detail!

2. Erin Biggers January 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

“before” and after are both stunning. My girls are on opposite ends for which version they like. I have one blue/purple girl and one all pink. How long do you think this version will last? lol

3. Tasha Early January 10, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

Beautiful room, Hayley! Makes me want to sell everything in my house and start over… hehe.

4. Jeni January 10, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

SO beautiful!! What a lucky little girl to have such a talented mom!!!

5. Olga Becker @ Kid Approved January 10, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

So beautiful, Hayley! When I come upstairs I also see into my child’s bedroom. Except I see black grafitti on a yellow wall, done by aspiring artist Ania using my make up. Ugh. :)

6. Elisa Clark January 10, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

Gorgeous! What a lucky girl to have such a beautiful room and fun mom!

7. Michelle Martini January 10, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

This is absolutely perfect! I especially like the framed wallpaper as art.

8. DollyCreates January 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

That is SO gorgeous! She will love it. I certainly do!

9. Kate January 10, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Beautiful!! Can I ask what type/color fabrics you used for the curtains? They are so lovely and I would like to make some for my daughters room.

10. christina January 10, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

so beautiful!! better not show my girls. makes me want to finally finish their room. still needs curtains:)

11. Mindy January 11, 2014 at 3:15 am #

Wow, a room fit for a princess, for sure. :) My almost 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter are sharing a room right now because we decided to throw a baby in the mix 2 years ago. We turned our son’s prior room into a nursery. Tomorrow, the two older ones are headed to my sister’s for a sleepover and I’m gonna haul balls to makeover Baby’s room into a big boy room for his birthday surprise. I’m soooooo excited to see his face when he realizes he’s getting his room back. I’ve got DIY projects and painting up the wazoo, but it’s gonna be fun. There’s shelves and a window seat almost identical to what you’ve put together, and it’s a small room, as well. But it will be ALL his again. I’ve done a couple posts: one on room inspiration and a DIY marquee letter that I’m pretty stoked about. Okay, I’ll stop rambling – clearly I’m excited. :) Great room. I’m sure she was over the moon when she walked up the stairs!

12. Falafel and the Bee January 11, 2014 at 3:50 am #

WOW! I am super impressed!!
    It came out absolutely beautiful. Any girl would be lucky to have that room. My 14year old AND my 8 year old would totally love it. Have you considered becoming an interior decorator??
    Michelle

13. Emily Thompson January 11, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

WOW gorgeous!!! the light colors make it seem so much bigger.. I also LOVE the curtains, I can’t believe you pieced those together. What a great little girls room. EMily

14. Chelise January 11, 2014 at 3:25 pm #

You did so great Hayley! I love love love her room!

15. My name is Rita January 11, 2014 at 6:36 pm #

What a beautiful room! I love every single thing about it. I love it! If you get a chance, please link up to: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2014/01/sunday-linky-40.html

16. Selene @ Restoration Beauty January 12, 2014 at 2:29 am #

Gorgeous room! I love the combination of colors…and the bed!!

17. Toni Barsi January 12, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

The whole room is absolutely gorgeous Hayley! I Love how you framed the paper on the walls, and those curtains are the perfect addition. Ainsley is one lucky little girl!

18. Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door January 12, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

I think you did an amazing job! I love the colors you used and you are a genius with details. Love it! New follower.

19. Andrea @ Decorating Cents January 13, 2014 at 3:26 am #

Love this one so much better. The colors are beautiful together. I did my daughter’s room almost 3 years ago and I’m itching to change it up too.

20. PolkaDottyPlace January 13, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

Your room redo is STUNNING!!! I love everything about it… the framed panels of wall paper, the stripey curtains, vintage bed, various patterns and sweet details throughout. I’m sure that your daughter LOVES it!! It’s such a happy, peaceful place. Way to go!! Glad I found your blog – I look forward to following along with you. :) Whitney

21. thingsforboys January 13, 2014 at 10:08 pm #

So pretty! I love the dresser and the mirrored tray.

22. Susanne McCullough January 14, 2014 at 2:14 am #

i love it! We are redoing Brooke’s baby pink and shabby chic bedroom for her birthday, and this was good inspiration! Love that you kept the blue bunny. I love the bunny! Everything looks great as usual!! I wish i could do the shelving and built in thing…but in our colonial one window goes right up to the wall almost…so no way to even it out with a shelf and window seat. :(

23. Lil' Luna January 15, 2014 at 12:02 am #

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!! Just pinned. :)

24. Style Sisters January 15, 2014 at 2:37 am #

Ohh this is just too pretty! I love how your curtains turned out…I think it was totally worth all your effort. I’m going to show this room to my daughter …to do for her daughter. come link up to centerpiece Wednesday http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2014/01/untitled.html and share this idea.
    Karin

25. Rachel Macdonald January 15, 2014 at 1:36 pm #

Can I ask where you got that fox pillow? I know you said clearance. maybe I missed it. my little girl loves pink and foxes!

26. Rachel Macdonald January 15, 2014 at 1:38 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

27. Debbie Chapman January 19, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

This is gorgeous! I absolutely love it! I never thought I’d like a pink room, but you did a wonderful job! Pinned!

Debbie @ onelittleproject.com

28. Alexis Middleton January 21, 2014 at 6:41 am #

What a perfectly beautiful space! I am crazy about the color you painted the bed. Oh, and the wallpaper. And your curtains look absolutely perfect!

29. KD January 21, 2014 at 6:12 pm #

Beautiful room! I would love to know how you made those curtains and what type of fabric you used.

30. Magda E. January 22, 2014 at 10:47 am #

I’m so in love with the new room.=D

31. ShayLynn January 23, 2014 at 6:26 pm #

What color is the paint on the walls?

32. Courtney Burkhart February 4, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

Beautiful room. I too would like to know what color pink this is. I’ve had a hard time deciding and I love the result of this color on the walls. Thank you.

33. m March 5, 2014 at 4:26 am #

You said you used two Besta bookcases on either side of the window and then 3 smaller cases under the window. Are the smaller ones also from IKEA??

34. Caroline Hornsey June 8, 2014 at 2:45 am #

Oh, this is just lovely! It has given me some inspiration for my little girls room…I made her some lovely curtains with Ikea’s Emmie fabric a while back now but she now needs some cute, girly furniture and walls to match! Thanks for sharing! X

35. Taylor June 30, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

I love her room! Can you please tell me what pink paint color you did for the walls?

36. alison July 18, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

I was wondering if you knew they color and brand of spray paint you used for the twin bed? I have been searching high and low for a raspberry spray paint, but all I have found was a watermelon color. Any info would be much appreciated!

37. Megan July 23, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Hello!

This room is AMAZING!!!! Absolutely love it. Do you know the brand and color of spray you used on the bed?
    Thanks so much!!!

• Hayley July 23, 2014 at 11:32 am #

Thank you Megan! I think the spray paint was Rustoleum Watermelon…. I hope that is right! It was THE perfect shade!

38. Meredith July 24, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

I love this room and am considering buying the wallpaper. What color pink is on the wall? Thanks!

39. Mary July 28, 2014 at 11:03 pm #

What is the color pink on the wall? I just purchased this same wallpaper for a nursery and I am searching for the perfect color pink accent wall color. Thanks!

40. Adrienne July 30, 2014 at 8:59 am #

I am so in love! I have a little girl arriving in early November. I had already fallen for this wallpaper, though it is totally out of my budget. I also have a husband who HATES wallpaper. I think he might be okay with how you creatively styled this. Wonderful! Brava!!

41. Shantle August 3, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Hello there,
    the room came out gorgeous. It always amazes me what you can do for little to no cost, with just being creative. So kudos to you honey.

I was wondering what kind of pink fabric did you use on the curtains, it looks like dupioni silk. Its like the perfect pink. If you can share where you got it and what color I would be ever soo greatful ;o)

42. Aimee @ItsOverflowing August 5, 2014 at 10:50 pm #

I loved it already — now it’s totally taken my breath away!!! That wallpaper is so dreamy I can hardly stand it Sweet Friend! Definitely a blessed little girl! :) Featuring you tomorrow. XO, Aimee

43. cassie August 6, 2014 at 8:11 am #

this is amazing! it’s so happy and adorable- pinned!

44. Leslie August 6, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

I’m SO in love with your little one’s room (pinned it for ideas when we redo our girls’ room). Love the wall treatments (that fabric!). The softness and girly-ness are perfect!!

45. Kitti Guerrero October 9, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

It is a beautiful room! We just got our new house and i am in love with the color combination. Could you tell me the name of the pink colour you used on the wall and the nightstand?
    Thanks a lot!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 15 Cool and Clever Ikea Hacks | Little Red WindowLittle Red Window - May 21, 2014

[…] Besta Bookcase Window Seat from Welcome to the Mouse House […]