I had searched on Food.com and came across a few recipes, which I tweaked to make it my own version. Now, I share that with you:
Creamy Potato Soup Panera Style
* 4 cups chicken broth
* 4 Large Baking Potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
* 1 garlic clove, finely minced
* 1 Tablespoon of butter, unsalted
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (optional...broth has lots of salt already)
* 8 ounces of plain cream cheese
* a sprinkle of parsley or chives for topping
- In a large pot, combine the cubed potatoes, chicken broth, and spices over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat up the tablespoon of butter over medium high heat. Sauté your onions and garlic until they are softened and tasty.
- Add the onion and garlic to your large pot and bring it all to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Using a potato masher, smash some of the potatoes, in order to release their starches (makes the soup thicker). You can also add some flour at this point if you like it really really thick!
- Reduce to low heat.
- Slowly add the cream cheese, stirring as you go. It will look pretty unsightly at first, just keep stirring until it is melted and yummy.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls, top with some fresh parsley or chives. If you are feeling extra frisky, go ahead and top it with some shredded cheddar cheese!
Check it out....even the chicken wanted in on the potato soup action:
You better back off, you dirty chicken!